Launched in April 2020, Foundation builds products that make Bitcoin and decentralized technologies accessible to everyone, enabling you to reclaim your digital sovereignty.
The tech industry has evolved into a centralized, invasive, pro-censorship hellscape. We relinquish our digital freedom in exchange for convenience, forfeiting control of our personal data and our ability to transact freely and privately.
But this wasn’t always the case! There was a time when Apple pushed us to “think different,” a time when Google lived by the mantra “don’t be evil.”
As a sovereign computing company, Foundation is the antithesis of today’s tech conglomerates. Returning to cypherpunk principles, we build open source technology that “can’t be evil,” that preserves your freedom and privacy by default.
Why does this matter? The line between the physical and digital world is blurred – every aspect of our lives touches technology. Coupled with worldwide censorship, privacy violations, and reckless financial and monetary policies, sovereignty in cyberspace is now a requirement to becoming truly free.
As in Asimov’s Foundation trilogy, we’ve asked ourselves, – what can we do to help navigate this period of chaos and usher in a new era of freedom and prosperity?
By building products that lower the barrier to becoming a sovereign individual, more people will confidently reclaim control of their money and data. This is not a guess; this is our conviction.
This mission starts with Passport, our best-in-class Bitcoin hardware wallet, and Envoy, our mobile app. But we’re just getting started.
Join us as we transition to the era of sovereign individuals!
Foundation builds Bitcoin-centric tools that empower you to reclaim your digital sovereignty.
- Foundation products empower individuals to reclaim their digital sovereignty by taking control of your money and data.
- Foundation offers best-in-class security and privacy via openness. No walled gardens; no closed source engineering.
- Foundation products are beautiful, intuitive, and remove the steep learning curve typically associated with Bitcoin and decentralized tech.
- Foundation reflects our optimism about the future. Our products feel positive, aspirational, and a bit sci-fi.
Cofounder & CEO
Cofounder & CTO
Cofounder & Head of Supply Chain
Head of Design
Head of Customer Experience
Seth for Privacy
Head of Strategy & Marketing
Foundation is backed by investors who believe in sovereignty, privacy, and open source.
- Tales from the Crypt: #181 Zach Herbert (July 21, 2020)
- Bitcoin Magazine: Securing Bitcoin with Zach Herbert of Foundation Devices (November 24, 2020)
- Stephan Livera: SLP238 Zach Herbert & Ken Carpenter – Passport by Foundation Devices (December 21, 2020)
- Bit Buy Bit: EP63 Bitcoin podcast with Zach Herbert (January 26, 2021)
- The Pomp Podcast: #511: Zach Herbert on Building Open Source Crypto Hardware (March 12, 2021)
- Opt Out: Securing your Bitcoin w/ Zach Herbert from Foundation (January 23, 2022)
- Bitcoin Magazine: Foundation Devices Enters the Sovereign Hardware Game with Passport Bitcoin Wallet (July 28, 2020)
- Bitcoin Magazine: Hardware Wallet Manufacturer Foundation Devices Raises $2M Seed Round (June 10, 2021)
- Fortune: Foundation Devices raises $7M for Passport, a ‘truly air gapped’ Bitcoin hardware wallet (December 19, 2022)
- CoinDesk: Polychain Leads $7M Funding for Hardware Wallet Developer Foundation Devices (December 19, 2022)
- TechCrunch: Foundation raises $7M to return ‘sovereignty’ to a chaotic crypto world (December 19, 2022)
- Bitcoin Magazine AMA: Zach Herbert Of Foundation Devices (July 30, 2020)
- Bitcoin Magazine: Sneak Peak of the Foundation Passport! (November 27, 2020)
- Bitvolt: Unboxing the ‘ Passport ‘ Hardware wallet (January 4, 2020)
- Bitvolt: Passport Hardware Wallet walkthrough ft. CEO Zach Herbert ( January 31, 2021)
- FutureProof: Bitcoin and an Open Hardware Revolution (August 23, 2020) requires email registration
Foundation Devices, Inc.
6 Liberty Square #6018
Boston, MA 02109