We believe Bitcoin and decentralized technologies will empower the individual, leading to a better world where people control their own data and their own money. This is the dream for our industry. We seek to eliminate the need for trusted third parties – like banks, cloud providers, and even governments – in order to make our systems more efficient and more accessible. And we seek to move power away from central points of failure to the edge; to the people.
As we build our industry from the ground up, we must remember this principle. We must build products and services that enable individual sovereignty.
We worry that as Bitcoin and decentralized tech reach mass adoption, the vast majority of consumers will become dependent on centralized providers. We will have succeeded at creating a different financial system with different intermediaries. But we will have failed at empowering the individual and building a new Internet.
This is why we started Foundation Devices – to make beautifully designed, open source devices for Bitcoin and the decentralized Internet. To bring great design and UX to hardware wallets, nodes, and more. To empower individuals to securely use and store Bitcoin while maintaining their sovereignty. To help our industry cross the chasm while staying true to its founding ideals.
We call this sovereign computing. And we are excited to bring it to the world.
Foundation Devices strives to empower humankind – to make Bitcoin and decentralized tech accessible to each and every individual in order to build a new era of sovereignty, ownership, and privacy. Our products are the foundation of a better, decentralized Internet.
- Foundation offers best-in-class security and privacy via openness. No walled gardens; no closed source engineering. We are the antithesis of existing tech companies.
- Foundation products are beautiful, intuitive, and approachable. Bitcoin and decentralized tech already have a steep learning curve; our products do not.
- Foundation gives sovereignty to individuals and businesses. We empower you to take ownership and control of your money and your data.
- Foundation products reflect our optimism about the future. We are building a better Internet based on a better form of money. Our products feel positive, aspirational, and a bit sci-fi.
Cofounder & CEO
A mechanical engineer and Harvard MBA dropout, Zach discovered Bitcoin in 2013 and immediately grasped its potential as digital gold, a currency for the Internet, and a way to return sovereignty to individuals. Zach previously worked at Nebulous and Obelisk as COO, notably overseeing the design, production, and distribution of $26M in ASIC miners.
Cofounder & CTO
A versatile software engineer and technical leader, Ken has extensive experience across the entire stack, including firmware, SaaS, mobile apps, web apps, and games. In addition to running his own software company, Ken has worked at notable companies like Schneider Electric, Arista Networks, Electronic Arts, Hudson River Trading, and Obelisk.
Cofounder & Head of Circuit Engineering
With bachelor’s and master’s degrees in electrical and circuit engineering, Matt designs high-performance PCBs and semiconductors as a one-man electronics powerhouse. Matt previously worked at Intel on their next-generation PCIe technology. Matt deeply understands the need for open source hardware to serve as a foundation of a sovereign Internet.
Cofounder & Head of Supply Chain
An experienced operator, Jacob built a domestic supply chain and fulfillment operation at Obelisk that manufactured and shipped 12,000+ ASIC miners to 3,000+ worldwide customers. Jacob has also worked at MIT in their entrepreneurial programs, assisted in the launch of the Arkansas’s I-Fund, and worked in multiple roles at Formlabs.
Head of Design
As the product of an Art Teacher and an Engineer, Andy is a versatile and experienced design leader with high technical acumen and a passion for innovation. Andy has been fortunate to see several of his products earn international recognition for design excellence. Prior to joining Foundation, Andy was a design lead for HP’s Advanced Design and Strategy Team.
Solairis left high school to learn about Bitcoin and organize some of the largest events & hackathons in his country. Solairis has dedicated himself to thinking deeply about Bitcoin’s social dynamics. He has also contributed to the creation of different historical content as documentaries and papers, including writing articles for Bitcoin Magazine. In the Mood for Love by Wong Kar-Wai is the movie that has moved him the most.
Jean-Pierre De Jesus Diaz
Senior Software Engineer
A passionate software engineer, Jean has experience in creating low-level embedded systems and designing software with security and privacy in mind. Jean believes in self-sovereignty and strives to write software to empower individuals with sovereignty. Jean is a contributor to rust-bitcoin, a maintainer of RIOT OS, and previously worked on the Locha Mesh project.
Senior Software Engineer
After an unfortunate Economics degree and a stint at a Big Four accounting firm, Igor decided to pursue his passion for programming and has been in the industry for more than a decade. He has an eclectic set of skills with experience in embedded systems, robotics, mobile, and Bitcoin + Lightning.
Senior Software Engineer
A software engineer with a passion for embedded systems, Corey has built software for automotive telematics, trucking, airplanes, and more. Corey grabbed his laptop and moved to Serbia in order to pursue his dream of becoming a software engineer, joining MikroElektronika. Corey has since moved back to the pacific northwest and worked at Air-Weigh, Milwaukee Electronics, and Rosen Aviation.
Foundation Devices is backed by investors who believe in sovereignty, privacy, and open source.
- Tales from the Crypt: #181 Zach Herbert (July 21, 2020)
- Bitcoin Magazine: Securing Bitcoin with Zach Herbert of Foundation Devices (November 24, 2020)
- Stephan Livera: SLP238 Zach Herbert & Ken Carpenter – Passport by Foundation Devices (December 21, 2020)
- Bit Buy Bit: EP63 Bitcoin podcast with Zach Herbert (January 26, 2021)
- The Pomp Podcast: #511: Zach Herbert on Building Open Source Crypto Hardware (March 12, 2021)
- Bitcoin Magazine: Foundation Devices Enters the Sovereign Hardware Game with Passport Bitcoin Wallet (July 28, 2020)
- Bitcoin Magazine: Hardware Wallet Manufacturer Foundation Devices Raises $2M Seed Round (June 10, 2021)
- Bitcoin Magazine AMA: Zach Herbert Of Foundation Devices (July 30, 2020)
- Bitcoin Magazine: Sneak Peak of the Foundation Passport! (November 27, 2020)
- Bitvolt: Unboxing the ‘ Passport ‘ Hardware wallet (January 4, 2020)
- Bitvolt: Passport Hardware Wallet walkthrough ft. CEO Zach Herbert ( January 31, 2021)
- FutureProof: Bitcoin and an Open Hardware Revolution (August 23, 2020) requires email registration
Foundation Devices, Inc.
6 Liberty Square #6018
Boston, MA 02109